Dr Frances Richards
Position: Senior Research Associate
Personal home page:
PubMed journal articles - click here
Dr Frances Richards is pleased to consider applications from prospective PhD students.
I am the Lab Head of the Cancer Research UK Pharmacology & Drug Development Group (PDDG), led by PI Duncan Jodrell. Our aim is to develop novel therapeutic strategies for cancer, with particular focus on pancreatic cancer. We work closely with the Early Phase Clinical Trials Group at Addenbrooke's Hospital and the CRUK-CI pharmacokinetics/bioanalysis core facility. The PDDG investigates the preclinical development of novel agents and novel drug combinations, using in vitro cell and co-culture models and more complex preclinical models. Current areas of interest include the DNA Damage Response, overcoming stroma-induced drug resistance, and emerging Immunotherapeutic approaches for the treatment of patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.
genetically engineered preclinical models
cell based assays
pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma
Symplectic Elements feed provided by Research Information, University of Cambridge
1. Carapuça EF, Gemenetzidis E, Feig C, Bapiro TE, Williams MD, Wilson AS, Delvecchio FR, Arumugam P, Grose RP, Lemoine NR, Richards FM, Kocher HM. Anti-stromal treatment together with chemotherapy targets multiple signaling pathways in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. J Pathol. 2016 Apr 7. doi: 10.1002/path.4727. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27061193.
2. Di Veroli GY, Fornari C, Goldlust I, Mills G, Koh SB, Bramhall JL, Richards FM, Jodrell DI. An automated fitting procedure and software for dose-response curves with multiphasic features. Sci Rep. 2015 Oct 1;5:14701. doi: 10.1038/srep14701. PubMed PMID: 26424192; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4589737.
3. Koh SB, Courtin A, Boyce RJ, Boyle RG, Richards FM, Jodrell DI. CHK1 Inhibition Synergizes with Gemcitabine Initially by Destabilizing the DNA Replication Apparatus (2015) . Cancer Res;75(17):3583-95. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-14-3347. Epub 2015 Jul 3. PubMed PMID: 26141863 [corresponding author].
4. GY Veroli, C Fornari, I Goldlust, G Mills, SB Koh, JL Bramhall, FM Richards, DI Jodrell (2015). An automated fitting procedure and software for dose-response curves with multiphasic features. Scientific Reports 2015 Oct 1;5:14701. doi: 10.1038/srep14701.
5. Bapiro, T. E., K. K. Frese, A. Courtin, J. L. Bramhall, B. Madhu, N. Cook, A. Neesse, J. R. Griffiths, D. A. Tuveson, D. I. Jodrell and F. M. Richards (2014). "Gemcitabine diphosphate choline is a major metabolite linked to the Kennedy pathway in pancreatic cancer models in vivo." Br J Cancer. 111(2):318-25. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2014.288. Epub 2014 May 29. PubMed PMID: 2487448 [corresponding author].
6. Neesse, A., K. K. Frese, D. S. Chan, T. E. Bapiro, W. J. Howat, F. M. Richards, V. Ellenrieder, D. I. Jodrell and D. A. Tuveson (2014). SPARC independent drug delivery and antitumour effects of nab-paclitaxel in genetically engineered mice. Gut 63(6): 974-983.
7. Oyarzun, D. A., J. L. Bramhall, F. Lopez-Caamal, F.M. Richards, D. I. Jodrell and B. F. Krippendorff (2014). The EGFR demonstrates linear signal transmission. Integr Biol (Camb) 6(8): 736-742.
8. CA Watts, FM Richards, A Bender, PJ Bond, O Korb, O Kern, M Riddick, P Owen, RM Myers, J Raff, F Gergely, DI Jodrell and SV Ley (2013). Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of the first selective inhibitor of HSET that damages cells with supernumerary centrosomes. Chemistry & Biology, Oct 2013
9. Neesse A, Frese KK, Chan DS, Bapiro TE, Howat WJ, Richards FM, Ellenrieder V, Jodrell DI, Tuveson DA. SPARC independent drug delivery and antitumour effects of nab-paclitaxel in genetically engineered mice. Gut. 2013 Sep 25. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2013-305559. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24067278.
10. Courtin A, Richards FM, Bapiro TE, Bramhall JL, Neesse A, Cook N, Krippendorff BF, Tuveson DA and Jodrell DI (2013). Anti-tumour efficacy of capecitabine in a genetically modified mouse model of pancreatic cancer. PLoS ONE 8 (6): e67330. Doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0067330. (Corresponding author)
11. Lin Y, Richards FM, Krippendorff BF, Bramhall JL, Harrington JA, Bapiro TE, Robertson A, Zheleva D, Jodrell DI (2012). Paclitaxel and CYC3, an aurora kinase A inhibitor, synergise in pancreatic cancer cells but not bone marrow precursor cells. Br J Cancer 107: 1692-1701. PMID: 23037716 (Corresponding author)
12. FM Richards, CJ Tape, DI Jodrell and G Murphy . Anti-tumour effects of a specific anti-ADAM17 antibody in an ovarian cancer model in vivo (2012). PLoS One. 7(7):e40597. PMID:22792380
13. Bapiro TE, Richards FM, Goldgraben MA, Olive K, Basetti M, Frese KK, Cook N, Jacobetz M, Smith DM, Tuveson D, Griffiths J and Jodrell DI (2011). A novel method for quantification of gemcitabine and its metabolites 2',2'-difluorodeoxyuridine and gemcitabine triphosphate in tumour tissue by LC-MS/MS: comparison with 19F NMR Spectroscopy (2011). Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 68: 1243-1253 (corresponding author). PMID:21431415