Dr Ramesh Bulusu
My primary interest is working towards the better understanding of the biology of paediatric wild type GISTs. We have established a national charity for paediatric wild type GISTs and I am the UK lead for the PAWS-GIST (paediatric, adolescent, wild type, syndromic Gastrointestinal stromal tumour) consortium. We offer a national service and run National clinic here in Cambridge. The PAWS GIST consortium is focussing on the clinical, biological and molecular basis for treatment of these rare subtypes of GIST. We collaborate with the NIH team at Bethesda for new drug development and work closely with other GIST researchers in Europe and USA.
1. Translating in vivo metabolomic analysis of succinate dehydrogenase deficient tumours into clinical utility. Ruth T Casey, Mary A McLean, Bassetti Madhu, Benjamin G Challis, Rogier ten Hoopen, Thomas Roberts, Graeme R Clark, Deborah Pitfield, Helen L Simpson, Venkata R Bulusu, Kieran Allinson, Lisa Happerfield, Soo-Mi Park, Alison Marker,Olivier Giger, Eamonn R Maher, Ferdia A Gallagher. JCO Precision Oncology 2018 in press:
2. SDHA related tumorigenesis: a new case series and literature review for variant interpretation and pathogenicity. Casey RT, Ascher DB, Rattenberry E, Izatt L, Andrews KA, Simpson HL, Challis B, Park SM, Bulusu VR, Lalloo F, Pires DEV, West H, Clark GR, Smith PS, Whitworth J, Papathomas TG1, Taniere P, Savisaar R, Hurst LD, Woodward ER, Maher ER. Mol Genet Genomic Med. 2017 Mar 2;5(3):237-250.
3. Molecular subtypes of gastrointestinal stromal tumors and their prognostic and therapeutic implications. Zoltan Szucs, Khin Thway, Cyril Fisher, Ramesh Bulusu, Anastasia Constantinidou, Charlotte Benson, Winette TA van der Graaf, & Robin L Jones. Future Oncology, September 7, 2016. (doi:10.2217/fon-2016-0192).
4. Promising novel therapeutic approaches in the management of gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Zoltan Szucs, Khin Thway, Cyril Fisher, Ramesh Bulusu, Anastasia Constantinidou, Charlotte Benson, Winette TA van der Graaf & Robin L Jones. Future Oncology, September 7, 2016. (doi:10.2217/fon-2016-0194)
5. Global Epidemiology of gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GIST): A systematic review of population based cohort studies. Sorede K, Sandvik OM, Soreide JA, Jureckova A, Bulusu V R. Cancer Epidemiol 2016 Feb:40: p 39-46.
6. Masitinib in advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST) after failure of imatinib: a randomized controlled open-label trial. Adenis A, Blay JY, Bui-Nguyen B, Bouché O, Bertucci F, Isambert N, Bompas E, Chaigneau L, Domont J, Ray-Coquard I, Blésius A, Van Tine BA, Bulusu V R, Dubreuil P, Mansfield CD, Acin Y, Moussy A, Hermine O, Le Cesne. Ann Oncol. 2014 Sep; 25(9):1762-9.
7. Rationale and design of a UK database for a rare cancer type: the GEM Registry for gastrointestinal stromal tumours.. V R Bulusu, J Fullarton, M Leahy, C Morgan, A Rasheed, P Taniere, S Toh, M Verrill, J White, I Judson. British Journal of Cancer, 2013; 09 (6):1403-07.
8. A randomised placebo-controlled study evaluating the role of pyridoxine in controlling capecitabine-induced hand-foot syndrome (CAPP-IT trial). Corrie P G, Bulusu V R, Wilson C B, Armstrong G, Bond S, Hardy R, Lao-Sireix S, Parashar D, Ahmad A, Daniel F, Hill M, Wilson G, Blesing C, Moody A M, McAdam K, Osborne M. British Journal of Cancer, 2012; 107:585-587.
9. Intermediate dose gemcitabine-cisplatin combination chemotherapy without treatment delay for cytopenia followed by auto grafting—a new standard of care in relapsed or refractory Hodgkin lymphoma? T Todd, S Raj, D Camilleri, G Stafford, R Bulusu, G Follows, M Williams & R Marcus, Ann Hematol 2009; 88:1107-12.
10. Treatment of Wild type Gastrointestinal stromal tumour (WT-GIST) with Imatinib and Sunitinib. M Murray, H Hatcher, F Jessop, D Williams, N Carroll, R Bulusu & I Judson. Paediatric Blood & Cancer, 2008; 50 (2):386-8.
11. A Review of Surgical Management of Metastatic Gastrointestinal Stromal tumours (GISTS) on Imatinib mesylate (Glivec). G Barnes, V R Bulusu, R H Hardwick, N Carroll, H Hatcher, H M Earl, V E Save, K Balan, N V Jamieson. Int J Surg 2005; 3: 206-212.
12. Phase I trial combining gemcitabine and treosulfan in advanced cutaneous and uveal melanoma patients. P G Corrie, J Shaw, V J Spanswick, R Sehmbi, A Jonson, A Mayer, R Bulusu, J A Hartley, I A Cree. Br J Cancer 2005;92(11): 1997-2003.
13. Irinotecan and 5 FU in Colorectal cancer: Time for a pause? Point of view. V R Bulusu. Eur J Cancer. 1998l; 34:286-289.
14. Paclitaxel in recurrent ovarian cancer: Too much optimism? V R Bulusu & R Allerton. Gyn.Oncol. 1997; 66:335.
15. Paclitaxel in recurrent ovarian cancer: Better upfront? V R Bulusu. Eur. J Cancer. 1997; 33:1905-1906
16. Topoisomerase I inhibition and apoptosis in human ovarian tumours. V R Bulusu. Clin. Can. Res. 1998;4:261-262.
17. Cancer Treatment for Duke’s C adenocarcinoma. Luck or judgement? V R Bulusu. Health trends 1997;29:61-62.
Chapters in Textbooks
1. Overview of Selective Targeted Therapy for the Treatment of GISTS in Clinical diagnosis & Treatment of GIST MIMS Special Supplement 2009. Jointly reviewed by R Bulusu & I Judson.
2. Management of Gastrointestinal cancer: Chapter in Walter & Miller Textbook of Radiotherapy: V R Bulusu
3. Management of Primary Brain Tumours. Chapter 1 of Palliative Care Consultations in Primary and metastatic brain tumours. N G Burnet, V R Bulusu, S J Jefferies. Eds S Booth & E Bruera Oxford University Press, Oxford 2004.
1. SSGXXII - Three versus five years of adjuvant imatinib as treatment of patients with operable GIST with a high risk of recurrence: A randomised phase III multicentre study by the Scandinavian Sarcoma Group. V Ingleson, V R Bulusu Poster presentation at the British Sarcoma Group Meeting, 28 February 2018, Birmingham UK.
2. Lessons learnt from management of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) mutant lung cancers in a cancer unit. Lung Cancer January 2018 Volume 115, Supplement 1, Pages S33–S34 S. Aslam, V.R. Bulusu, Y. Jeffs, S. Jessop, M. Azher, E. Thomas, A. Saleem, B. Prasad, G. Maidment.
3. Clinical characteristics of programmed death ligand-1 (PD-L1) positive non-small cell lung cancer patient cohort from a cancer unit – first year experience. January 2018Volume 115, Supplement 1, Page S40 V.R. Bulusu, Y. Jeffs, S. Jessop, G. Maidment, S. Aslam.
4. The role of in vivo metabolomics using H-MRS in SDH deficient disease. Ruth Casey, Mary McLea, Madhu Bassetti, Ben Challis, Helen Simpson, Mark Gurnell, Ramesh Bulusu, Alison Marker, Olivier Giger, Kieran Allinson, Krishna Chatterjee, Eamonn Maher & Ferdia Gallagher. Endocrine Abstracts (2017) 49 GP27 DOI:10.1530/endoabs.49.GP27. 19th European Congress of Endocrinology Lisbon, Portugal, 20 May 2017 - 23 May 2017.
5. Aggressive and unusual metastatic relapses in resected epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) mutant adenocarcinoma of lung: Biology or chance occurrence? Lung Cancer, Volume 91, Supplement 1, January 2016 S24. S Aslam, S Jessop, Y Jeffs, V Bulusu.
6. 30 day mortality following systemic anticancer treatment (SACT) in lung cancer; experience from a cancer unit. Lung cancer, Volume 91, Supplement 1, January 2016 S30. S Jessop, T Sillah, Y Jeffs, S Aslam, V Bulusu.
7. Are EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor) mutant lung cancers neurotropic and pleurotropic? Lung Cancer, Volume 87, Supplement 1, January 2015, S30, V.R. Bulusu, S. Jessop, Y. Jeffs, A. Egan, B. Prasad, K. Adu Poku, A. Sa’D, E. Thomas, M. Azher.
8. Transforming lung cancer care in the community – developing and testing a new model of nursing care, Lung Cancer, Volume 87, Supplement 1, January 2015, S34, Y. Jeffs, E. Whelan, S. Jessop, M. Azher, E. Thomas, V.R. Bulusu.
9. Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) secretion in small cell lung cancer: 12 months experience from a cancer unit, Lung Cancer, Volume 87, Supplement 1, January 2015, S59, V.R. Bulusu, S. Jessop, Y. Jeffs, E.Thomas, K. Adu Poku, A.Sa'D, B. Prasad, M. Azher, C. Barclay.
10. Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) management in small cell lung cancer (SCLC); patient's narrative and oncologist's perspective, a case report, Lung Cancer, Volume 87, Supplement 1, January 2015, S7, Y. Jeffs, V.R. Bulusu, S. Jessop, C. Barclay.
11. Comparative toxicity profiles of two platinum doublets: real life experience from a cancer unit Lung Cancer, Volume 87, Supplement 1, January 2015, S25, S. Jessop, Y. Jeffs, E. Thomas, M. Azher, K. Adu Poku, A. Sa'D, B. Prasad, A. Egan, V.R. Bulusu.
12. Diagnostics challenges of gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTs) – tumours that mimic GISTS. De Silva N, Kwan A, Holyoake D, Wong H, Bulusu R. A106 Poster presentation at the NCRI Cancer Conference,3-6 November 2013, Liverpool, UK.
13. Prospective evaluation of occurrence of other cancers in patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTS): Diagnostic and management implications. Shah J, Wong H, Holyoake D, Kwan A, Earl H, Hatcher H, Bulusu R A 97 Poster presentation at the NCRI Cancer Conference,3-6 November 2013, Liverpool, UK.
14. Capsule endoscopy in the detection of small bowel Gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTS) presenting with occult gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding. Holyoake D, Kwan A, De Silva N, Shah J, Wong H, Bulusu R. A 96 Poster presentation at the NCRI Cancer Conference,3-6 November 2013, Liverpool, UK.
15. Lung nodule surveillance programme (LNSP) in a Cancer unit: Lung cancer team experience from Bedford Hospital, UK. Jeffs Y P, Hicks P, Jessop S, Egan A, Azher M, Thomas E, Adu-Poku K, Bulusu V R. Lung Cancer, Vol 83;S35, Jan 2014.
16. Pemetrexed and Carboplatin (PC) doublet in advanced non squamous Non-small cell lung cancer. Real life experience from a Cancer Unit.. Jessops S, Jeffs Y P, Adu-Poku K, Thomas E, Azher M, Hicks P, Egan A, Bulusu V R. Lung Cancer, Vol 83;S13, Jan 2014.
17. Diagnostic Challenges of gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTS)-tumours that mimic GISTS. De Silva N, Kwan A, Holyoake D, Wong H, Bulusu V R Poster presentation at the NCRI Conference, 4-6 November 2013, Liverpool UK.
18. Prospective evaluation of occurrence of other cancers in patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTS): Diagnostic and management implications. Shah J, Wong H, Holyoake D, Kwan A, Earl H, Hatcher H, Bulusu V R Poster presentation at the NCRI conference 4-6 November 2013, Liverpool UK.
19. 10 year prospective experience of gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTS) from Cambridge GIST study group, United Kingdom. V R Bulusu, H Hatcher, R Hardwick, N Carroll, S Pursglove, V Save, P Safranek, H Earl Poster presentation at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual meeting Chicago 30 May-3 June 2013.
20. Mimics of gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTs): Implications for diagnosis and management—The Cambridge GIST Study Group (CGSG) experience. H H Wong, R Chengal, R Hardwick, S A Horan, H Hatcher, H Earl, S Pursglove, V R Bulusu. E abstract at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual meeting Chicago 30 May-3 June 2013.
21. Oral Vinorelbine eliminates risk of phlebitis and saves “chair time” in a busy chemotherapy unit. Jessop S, Jeffs Y, Bulusu V R. Lung Cancer, Vol 79:S44, Jan 2013.
22. Patterns of presentation of Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) in Lung Cancer: Experience from a Cancer Unit. Jeffs Y, Bulusu V R, HIcks P, Adu-Poku K, Egan A, Jessop S, Thomas E, Azher M. Lung Cancer Vol 79; S48, Jan 2013.
23. Interim PET Scan Does Not Predict Outcome in Primary Mediastinal B Cell Lymphoma Treated with R DA EPOCH. Prahladan M, Grigoropoulos N, Munisamy S, Hodson A, Shaw A, Wright P, Williams M, Bulusu R, Sureda A, Crawley C, Follows G, poster presentation at the American Society of Hematology (ASH) meeting 8-11 December 2012, Atlanta, Georgia USA.
24. Prospective evaluation of occurrence of gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTs) with other cancers from the Cambridge GIST database: implications formanagement. Wong H H, Bulusu R, British Sarcoma Group Conference 29 February-3 March 2012 Oxford UK.
25. Lung Cancer in patients older than >75 years-Referral pathways, interventions & outcomes: Experience from a Cancer UnitJeffs Y P, Kwame OP, Azher M, Thomas E, Egan A, Hicks P, Bulusu V R. Lung Cancer Vol. 75; S23, Jan 2012.
26. EGFR mutational testing in non-squamous Lung cancer: 12 months experience from a Cancer unit in UK. Bulusu V R, Jeffs Y P, Jessop S, Kwame O-P, Thomas E, Egan A, Hicks P, Azher M. Lung Cancer Vol. 75; S4-S5, Jan 2012.
27. Venous complications with intravenous vinorelbine: time to move to oral? Jessop S, Jeffs Y & Bulusu V R. Lung Cancer, Vol 75, S9, Jan 2012.
28. Hyponatraemia in Oncology: Magnitude of the problem: Proposed Management Algorithm for Syndrome of Anti Diuretic Hormone associated with Cancer: A Joint Acute Oncology & Acute Medicine Project: Bulusu V R, Jeffs Y P, Barclay C, Melvin A. Lung Cancer Vol. 75: S35, Jan 2012.
29. The Gist of how GISTs spread: A Primer of Common and Uncommon Patterns of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumour Metastasis. Godfrey EM , Bulusu R , Bowden D, Addley HC , Whitley SA , Davies SE , Carroll N. Radiological Society of North America 2011 Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting; November 28- December 3, 2011 Chicago USA.
30. A randomised placebo-controlled study evaluating the role of pyridoxine in controlling capecitabine-induced hand-foot syndrome (CAPP-IT trial) Suzanne Murphy, Graham Armstrong, Simon Bond, Si-houy Lao-Sirieix, R Bulusu, Charles Wilson, Pippa Corrie. Poster Presentation at the NCRI UK Cancer Conference, November 2011, Liverpool UK.
31. PAWS-GIST national initiative: A joint patient/carer/professionals initiative in the United Kingdom for pediatric/adolescent/wild-type/syndromic gastrointestinal stromal tumours. Bulusu V R. J Clin Oncol 29: 2011 (suppl; abstr e20523).
32. Histopathological changes in resected GISTS treated with tyrosine kinase inhibitor, Imatinib mesylate. Allinson K S J, Bulusu V R, Pursglove S, poster presentation at the 199th Scientific meeting of the Pathological society of Great Britain and Ireland, Hinxton, Cambridge January 2011.
33. Gastrointestinal stromal tumours associated with other cancers. Nagy P A, Bulusu V R. poster presentation at the 199th Scientific meeting of the Pathological society of Great Britain and Ireland, Hinxton, Cambridge January 2011.
34. Case Report: 123I MIBG uptake in gastrointestinal stromal tumour (GIST) W Howard, S Coghill, N V Jamieson, R Bulusu, V K K Chatterjee, K Balan. Poster presentation at British Nuclear Medicine Society Conference, Edinburgh, May 2008.
35. Inter observer variability of Size & Density measurements on CT in patients with metastatic GISTS on Imatinib mesylate (IM). V. R. Bulusu, S. Fawcett, P. Moyle, N. Carroll. Poster presentation at the American Society of Clinical Oncology May 2008, Chicago USA. J Clin Oncol 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; 10563).
36. Extra pulmonary small cell carcinomas (EPSCC) in East Anglia - retrospective review of a 40 year regional cancer registry. N Ainsworth, N Cook, A Hollingdale, V Bulusu. Poster presentation at ESEC, Lugano, Switzerland, June 2007. Ann Oncol. 18 (Suppl. 9):ix188-189, 2007.
37. RECIST and Choi criteria for Response Assessment (RA) in patients with inoperable and metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTs) on imatinib mesylate. Cambridge GIST Study Group experience. Bulusu V R, , Jephcott C, Fawcett S, Cook N, , Hatcher H, Moyle P, Carroll N, Earl H, Save V, Hardwick R, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge, UK. Poster discussion and presentation at the American Society of Clinical Oncology May 2007, Chicago USA. J Clin. Oncol. Vol 25, No 18S (June 20 Supplement), 2007: 10019.
38. West Anglia Cancer Network experience of GISTs in multidisciplinary setting.
Y.M. Kan, A. Choy, C. Jephcott, N. Cook, V. Save, N. Carroll, R.H. Hardwick and V.R. Bulusu. Poster Presentation at the European Society of Surgical Oncology Dec 2006, Venice, Italy. European Journal of Surgical Oncology, Volume 32, Supplement 1, November 2006, Page S35.
39. Size does not matter! Patterns of response and progression in patients (pts) with metastatic gastro intestinal stromal tumours (GISTS) on imatinib mesylate (IM). Fawcett S, Cook N, Bulusu V, Hatcher H, Moyle P, Carroll N, Earl H, Save V Hardwick R,Balan K, Dwerryhouse S, Sherbourne K. Proffered paper presentation at the NCRI UK national meeting Birmingham, Oct 2006.
40. Imatinib mesylate in Gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTS): Experience of the Cambridge GIST Study Group. C Palmer, N Cook, V Bulusu, V Save, N Carroll, R Hardwick, K Sherbourne, H Earl, K Balan. Poster Presentation at the NCRI UK national meeting Birmingham, October 2005.
41. 3 Year Prospective Database of Primary GastroIntestinal Stromal Tumours (GISTs) in West Anglia Cancer Network: Cambridge GIST Study Group Experience. V R Bulusu, B Basu, H Hatcher, C Parkinson, K Sherbourne, H Earl, V Save, N Carroll, R Hardwick, K Balan. Poster Presentation at the NCRI UK National meeting Birmingham, October 2005.
42. Imatinib Mesylate in locally advanced and metastatic GastroIntestinal stromal tumours (GISTs): Cambridge GIST Study Group Experience. V R Bulusu, B Basu, H Hatcher, C Parkinson, K Sherbourne, HEarl, V Save, N Carroll, R Hardwick, K Balan. Poster Presentation at the European Scientific & Educational Conference Budapest, Hungary, June 2005.
43. Oral capecitabine monotherapy in taxane and anthracycline pre-treated metastatic breast cancer: Suffolk Oncology Centre experience. V.R. Bulusu, J. Le Vay, R. Hockney, R. Jena, M. Iddawela. Eur J Cancer Suppl; Vol. 1, No. 5, Sept 2003, page S140.
44. Outcomes of the treatment of high grade gliomas The Cambridge experience. Waite K.J, Burnet N.G, Bulusu R V : British Journal Of Cancer. 86(suppl 1): 2002, S54-S55.
45. Hypofractionated palliative radiotherapy in adult Glioblastome multiforme: V.R.Bulusu, S.G.Russell, K.Burton, G.Robinson, N.G.Burnet. British J Cancer 2001,85;Suppl1, p23.
46. Optimising the side effects of raltitrexed with appropriate supportive drugs: a prospective community hospital study. Thomas R, Bulusu R. EJC March 2001 vol 37, Supp.2 pp119.
47. An Audit of Germ cell tumours referrals to a Cancer Centre: V R Bulusu, J Robson, M V Williams. British J Cancer 2000, vol 83 (suppl1) p89.
48. Hypersensitivity reactions to Carboplatin: V R Bulusu, F Ives, E Sugden. British J Cancer,2000, Vol 83, (Suppl 1) 29-84.
49. Cancer patient education and information: Development of a new structured information package. De Zeeuw N, Bulusu R, Thomas R. EJC. 1997. Vol. 33, Supp. 8, 1400.
50. Patients’ attitudes towards an individualised filofax information system. Kaminski E, De Zeeuw N, Bulusu R, Thomas R. EJC. 1997. Vol. 33, Supp. 8, 1401.
51. Where do patients seek additional information after a diagnosis of cancer - A multicentre survey. Shingler G, Bulusu R, Thomas R. EJC. 1997. Vol. 33, Supp. 8, 1426.